Change the Font and Image Size for the Partially Blind and Visually Impaired
Change the font, image and screen size for users with low vision, partially blind or visually impaired. These visual enhancements can be done on the initial setup of your Android phone, or changed using this procedure.
The Accessibility features of Android phones and tablets have some extra features for making the fonts, images and screens easier to see for those who are partially blind or are visually impaired. If you have already downloaded and installed the Android Accessibility Suite to your Android phone or tablet, then you have these vision enhancements already available to you. If you do not have the Android Accessibility Suite, you can download it from Google Play store. Android Accessibility Suite
For details about how to install apps to an Android phone or tablet – How to install apps to Android phones or tablets?
It is important to point out that not all apps will use the larger font sizes.
How to change the font, image and screens to assist the partially blind?
Using the Accessibility functions:
- Open Settings, Touch to open Accessibility
- Touch to open Visibility enhancements
- This screen will open with options
- There are several things you can set on this screen to enhance the font, images and screen
- Choose a Display mode
- Default – no changes
- High Contrast – better color separation
- Large display – a bigger display
- High contrast theme – you can choose and download a new screen theme for your Android phone or tablet that provided better contrast and easier to see.
- High contrast fonts – bolder fonts that are easier to see
- Highlight button – buttons are highlighted so they are easier to find
- Color inversion – inverses the color so all colors are opposite and maybe easier to see
- Remove animations – removes any animation from fonts or images so they may be easier to see
- Choose a Display mode
Font sizes can also be changed using the Android settings menu
- Open Settings
- Touch on Display
- Scroll down and Touch on Font size and style
- Adjust the Font Style, Enable Bold font, and or move the slider to select a Font size.
- Touch on Screen zoom to change the size of the image on the screen.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Changing Font and Image Size for Partially Blind Users:
- What are the best ways to adjust font and image size for someone who is partially blind?
- Change system wide font size using the instructions above. Choosing bolder fonts or sans-serif fonts can improve readability.
- Use an magnification tools with zoom in functionality. These zoom in on specific areas of the screen, allowing for closer inspection of text and images. – Screen Magnification for Low Vision – Android
- Controlling image size and contrast. Increasing image size and adjusting contrast can make them easier to discern.
- How much should I increase the font size?
Experiment to find a comfortable reading size. A good starting point might be 1.5x or 2x the default size.
- What font styles are best for someone with low vision?
Sans-serif fonts like Arial or Helvetica are often easier to read, as they lack the small details of serif fonts. Bold fonts can also improve readability.
- How can I adjust image contrast?
Many devices offer built-in options to increase image contrast. Alternatively, accessibility apps might provide more granular control.
- What if I still have trouble seeing text or images?
Consult an eye care professional for personalized recommendations and explore assistive technologies like screen readers or specialized magnifiers.
- Adjust screen brightness and color temperature for comfort.
- Reduce screen glare with screen protectors or anti-glare filters.
- Use larger devices with bigger screens for easier viewing.
- Explore audiobooks and text-to-speech options for alternative content consumption.
Accessibility Page Links
|Android’s sound amplifier for the hard of hearing or hearing impaired
|Sound Amplifier for the Hard of Hearing – Android
|Use the voice access module to speak commands to Android
|Voice Access Spoken Commands – Android
|Magnify the text and images on the screen for users with low vision and visually impaired
|Screen Magnification for Low Vision – Android
|TalkBack screen reader to tell you about your actions for the blind and visually impaired
|TalkBack Screen Reader for Android
|TalkBack braille keyboard for your Android device
|Talkback Braille Keyboard for Android
|Change the font and image size displayed on all screens for the partially blind and visually impaired
|Change Font and Image Size for Partially blind – Android
|Google’s Live Transcribe and Notification app is very useful speech-to-text tool
|Google Live Transcribe and Notification for Android